Sunday 1 January 2012

To Do List

The list of things to do around here seems endless. It always does when we first move into a new house (this is our third in 7 years) because I usually want to change just about everything. Thank goodness I have a husband who is not only handy but who also understands design and doesn't roll his eyes TOO much when I replace every single light fixture, plug cover, paint color, and window covering in the entire place.

It seems overwhelming when I gaze around and begin adding up how much everything will cost. I sometimes feel panicky about what to tackle first when it seems that absolutely everything needs doing, and one project won't even make a dent in the amount of work it will take to make this house ours.

I'm breaking it down into what I think we will be able to accomplish this year. Most of these are simply based on budget and what we can reasonably afford. Our kitchen needs a complete gut, as do both of our bathrooms but we know none of that will be happening any time soon. I HATE our exterior but new siding and trim is definitely going to be a way down the road project ( I do have a plan to spiff up the outside of the house on the cheap though!) . . . and on and on until the list of upgrades are narrowed down into what's left that CAN be done.

I am so excited to dig in and get started on this place. Our last two homes were temporary spaces, that we knew we would not be in for more than a few years and so a lot of my decisions were budget based, rather than what I really wanted. This time we plan to do it right, choosing the finishes and fixtures that we truly love even if it means waiting longer to do projects so we can save up the money to splurge. It's going to be beautiful someday.

Ok, enough blathering. On with the list!


2012 To Do

-Build Brook a bed, a toy storage unit, and decorate her room
-Paint the entryway and living room the perfect greige
-Finish the living room photo wall
-Paint the front door
-Paint the dining room
-New window treatments in the living room and dining room
-Start landscaping and put in a garden outside
-Build new bedroom side tables and a headboard
-New bedding for us


I hope next year I will be able to say I have crossed all of those things and more off my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment