Tuesday 20 December 2011

What To Get Your Daycare Provider or Child's Teacher For Christmas

I run a daycare in my home now, but previously I was a preschool teacher, a daycare worker in a large center, and a nanny.

I've gotten many, many gifts from grateful parents over the years. Some, amazing and memorable. Others...donated to the goodwill. Sorry....I winced as I wrote that, but it's the truth. There's only so many Dollar Store Christmas mugs one woman can keep!

Teachers and daycare workers are so hard to buy for, I get it. You don't really know them...you don't see a lot of signs about their life or their personal taste when you get 5 minutes with them each day in the context of their workplace. But yet you want to get them something they will love, and that will convey the message that you appreciate all their hard work!

ANY gesture is much appreciated, whether we find the gift useful or not . . . just knowing that you thought enough of us to do something nice is enough to make me feel really special. EVEN if it's another Dollar Store Mug, haha.

So what do you get? Here are my suggestions from years of experience and dozens of gifts opened!





1. Cash. Cold hard cash. I ONLY recommend this gift if this is a person whom you "pay" and can just add in a little bonus. Handing Johnny's third grade teacher a 20? Not so cool, and awkward too. But tacking on a little extra to your daycare provider's cheque is a really lovely thing to do.


2. Gift cards. Honestly, even if you only have $5 to spend, I'd rather get a small gift card to a store I like than another cheap box of chocolate. My favorites to receive are gift cards to coffee shops, a gourmet tea store nearby, book stores, or even good old Walmart! Don't feel bad that you can't afford a $25 card and worry that you will look cheap by just giving 5 or 10 dollars on a card. Something thoughtful and useful is so appreciated, regardless of it's $$$ value.


3. Cards and letters. If you can't afford a gift but want to do something, do this. Save the money you would have spent on that little chocolate or the dollar store mug (what is it with the dollar store mugs, anyway?) and buy a card. Or just let your kiddo color on a sheet of paper and write on top...

I have received some lovely cards over the years and I still remember how they made me feel and which parents wrote them. Hearing how appreciated you are is amazing..it brings me to tears when I read that you loved the last art project I sent home or that you are grateful for the field trip I took them on last fall. Take the time to write a few paragraphs and I can guarantee they will be thrilled, whether or not a gift comes along with your note.


4. This one is more pricy, but I have received it a few times and it's always been thrilling! A gift certificate to a salon or a spa. I opened a card once and found a gift certificate for a pedicure inside and almost cried right there. I was so tired, so burnt out, so overworked...to have a parent pay for me to be pampered like that was really moving.


5. Something your child has made. I have two artist canvases hanging in my daycare. Both were painted by children I had taught in preschool a few years ago and I treasure them still. Their mom wrote their names and the date on the back and I proudly display them! I had a wooden frame on my desk for a few years that was painted by a child and adorned with foam letters spelling out my name...I put a photo of my class inside and it was truly loved.


6. Candles, home decor items (I've received a board with my last name painted on it, some willow tree figurines, Christmas decorations, tree ornaments, and a cookie jar) GOOD chocolate, plants, bouquets of flowers, a pretty scarf or mittens.


If you have several (Or a LOT) of people to thank and they all work together, consider a group gift. Have your child give each of them a thoughtful card, and then arrange something for everyone to enjoy together. Bring a tray of cookies. Buy a fruit basket or edible arrangement. A round of drinks from Starbucks. A box of donuts. Basically food, haha. You could ask the director or principal if there is anything needed for the staff room...a new tea kettle or coffee pot perhaps?  Arrange for chinese food to be brought in at lunch time on the last day before the holidays...that one was a HIT at my school a few years ago.


Things to steer away from . . .


These are all perfectly nice gifts. If you choose to give them, I am sure they will be appreciated and received gratefully. These are just the things, in my experience that are given en masse and I usually end up overloaded with and receive duplicates of.

1. Mugs. Mugs with stuffed animals in them. Mugs with hot chocolate powder in them. Empty mugs. Mugs with chocolate in them. Mugs with a plant in them. Mugs with chocolate covered spoons in them. Mugs mugs mugs.


2. Chocolates. Now, I appreciate GOOD chocolate or a really nice little gift basket of treats. And I LOVE homemade treats if they are from a parent I trust...homemade anti pasta, salsa, cookies..mmmmmm. But the $3 box of generic brand chocolate that when I open it will be all white with age and taste like wax...seriously save your money because I just feel like a jerk tossing it away and all I really wanted from you was a sweet card and a hug!


3. Bath products. My bathroom looks like Bath and Bodyworks exploded in it after Christmas. Not that I don't like me some bubble bath, but there can be too much of a good thing sometimes. And when I get 10 of the same gift, I forget who gave what rather than your gift being memorable and making me think of you every time I use it. If you want to give me something to encourage me to pamper myself, get me a gift certificate to a spa or salon. $10 towards getting my hair cut is awesome!



And if none of these suggestions appeal to you, then purchase something for your child's classroom. A couple of new books with an inscription inside, a basket full of glue sticks, pom poms, and pipe cleaners, or a bag bursting with new supplies for the teachers' desk like post its, white board markers, pens, and highlighters. Even daycare teachers use a lot of these things!


Happy Holidays! And don't forget to thank the special people in your child's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment