Monday 19 December 2011

Christmas In My Dreams

Christmas is officially 6 days away. And I feel ready...mostly.

Ok, somewhat.

Ok a little bit.

Ok not at all.


We are hosting Christmas this year for the first time. I'll be working up until the evening of the 23rd and the 24th is already booked full of parties and the Christmas Eve service at church. My house is a mess, I don't have any food prepped and I haven't even finished decorating the house.

But yet I have visions of hosting the perfect Christmas. The beautifully decorated home, music playing, candles glowing...greeting guests at the door perfectly coiffed and wearing an apron.

Triumphantly carrying a perfectly golden turkey to the beautifuly laid table, being relaxed and happy and basically the perfect hostess.

Why do I do this to myself when I know what the reality is?

The reality is, that my house will not be any more decorated on Christmas Day than it is now. I don't have the time or the energy by the time I am finished work and have cooked dinner.

My first time cooking a turkey means that I have a 99% chance of overcooking it and having it be dry.

I have people arriving at my door at 8 am that morning, so most likely I will sneak away at some point during the present opening to have a quick shower and throw my hair in a ponytail.

Realistically I will be happy if I get all the gifts wrapped and have all the food on the table! So why do I do this to myself and dream/imagine about how the day will go, and somehow turn myself into June Cleaver? I know darn well we will be eating dinner on borrowed folding tables that have mismatched table cloths, so why am I picturing a beautifully laid table with crystal candlesticks and a centerpiece?

I always do this when I host something. I long for the money, time, and supplies to throw a beautiful bash but I have a dollar store budget and I can't even make it to the dollar store after work before they close!

Regardless of how my holiday ends up looking...I know it will be a good one, and that's all that really matters.



                                              Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment